Golf Mrk 4 1.8T 20 Race car - ex VW cup front runner
GOLF GTI MK 4 1.8 turbo 20v - orignal VW Cup car
Former VW Cup winner and front running car that was originally professionally built by CCi Motorsport from a new shell.
It was built by the guys working at Frazero motorsport in line with their Mrk4 Golf Specifications - so it has had some very competitive engineering put into it.
This car is not to be confused with anything homemade as it was designed to win, and was a very competitive front running car that won several races and was regularly on the podium in the VW Cup.
I originally purchased the car back in 2008 to run in the VW Cup, but the recession came and the car was effectively put away until 4 or 5 years ago when I decided to refresh it and get it resprayed (in Red Bull Colours)
It got put away again until 2017 when I decided to get it race ready and have the engine completely rebuilt by Grant motorsport - who has been one of the most successful engine builders for the 1.8T engine.
The idea was to race in the VWClassic cup ( https://www.classicvwcup.com/ ) as this would be perfect for it as it is such a competitive car. This car will qualify for loads of race series though and is now a "classic".
Unfortunately, the rebuild took a few months longer than expected and I decided to race in another car in 2018, so the car has done virtually nothing after it was delivered back after the rebuild. I basically did a 30-minute session to shake it down and check all was running well - and that is it.
Prior to the engine rebuild, I also has the car re-wired with a new loom by a VW master mechanic (who still works in the VW Cup). I took it back to running a standard ECU rather than the original QP as this had proved temperamental and was dated. The standard ECU’s are very mappable these days - and had it mapped at Shark.
The Leda Suspension wassent back to GAZ to be refreshed- and obviously not raced since
I bought a new Sparco Seat last year from Demon Tweeks so this will have plenty of date left - End 2021
Harnesses were also new as well.
Prior to the rebuild I bought a brand new genuine VW K04 Turbo (at over £750)
I had to buy a new extinguisher from lifeline as well.
The the recent rebuild and refresh itself cost well in excess of £6,000:
1.8T Bam Engine completely rebuilt by Grant Motorsport in 2018
- Forged Pistons (Teflon coated) - 8.5:1
- Steel ZRP Conrods
- L19 ARP Bolts
- Flow matched Port Head
- STeel MLS Head Gasket Elring and elring headbolts
- Uprated Big end Bearings (Standard Mains)
- Balanced Crank
- Metal Waterpump upgrade
- New Oil pump and Chain
- New Cambelt kit
- Standard ECU loom running 1.6 Bar
- New Radiator
- New Larger spec intercooler
Original Vehicle Specification:
- Roll cage by Fabricage
- Acid dipped, seam welded shell
- Lightened body panels
- Bespoke adjustable rear axle
- Genuine ATS wheels (apparently the lightest and strongest out there)
- Race Clutch
- AP Racing 4 pot front calipers and 320 mm discs
- Audi TT front uprights and track control arms
- Bias pedal box and rear brake bias
- Aeroquip type hose throughout
- Solid engine mounts
- 2 way adjustable shock absorbers and springs by Leda (unused since rebuild)
- Fully adjustable and lightened rear axle
- Adjustable and strengthened front cross member
- Close ratio gears with long and short 5th gear
- Adjustable rear camber and tracking 2 way adjustable front camber/caster with rose joints.
- Quick Release Steering Wheel
- 8 spare wheels and tyres in addition to the 4 on the car.
This car is now ready to race and will be a fantastic tool in the right hands.
I am gutted to sell considering how much money I have spent on getting it ready only to pass it on, however I am going in a different direction for 2019 and need to free up some money.
Car is located near Stockport, Manchester and Grant of Grant motorsport would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the engine rebuild – just let me know and I will get some answers.
Finally - the reason for the Direnza stickers is due to some previous sponsorship I had agreed!
Vehicle will not be released until cleared funds received in bank account.
Cheers - Dan 07891 810 262