1980 NISSAN TURBO 200SX IMSA RACE CARS
1980 NISSAN TURBO 200SX IMSA GTU VINTAGE RACE CAR
· Class: SVRA GROUP 10, CLASS GT3, HSR GROUP 9, CLASS 6
· Weight: 2100 lbs
Youtube sites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6O7EdDWMbc
· Engine Builder: Don Preston Racing Wichita, KS
· type: 4 cylinder
· Displacement: 1770 cc
· Horsepower: 350+@ the rear wheels
· Heads: Late NISMO FIA
· Valve Springs: Electramotive endurance with spares
· Clutch: Tilton 7 ½ INCH
· Races: 2 since complete refresh including the engine, dry sump pump, Turbonetics turbocharger, front shocks, new clutch discs, etc.
· Dailey dry sump pump- rebuilt 2016
· OPCON oil to water cooler
· Turbonetics turbocharger bifurcated turbine inlet matched to headers
· Adjustable cam sprocket
· NISMO cam spray bar
· ARE cast aluminum oil pan
· Fuel Pump: Bosch Kugelfischer boost compensated timed mechanical fuel injection
· Bosch 255 LPH in tank forwarding pump in the ATL black box
Fuel Cell-ATL WITH BLACK BOX
· Ignition: Electromotive HPX
· Driveshaft driven alternator
· Gear reduction starter
· Red Top Optima battery
· Innovate LM-1 with data memory
· Innovate LM-3 Multi Sensor Auxiliary Input Device
· Tach (Autometer), oil pressure and temperature (SW), water temperature (SW) and pressure light, fuel pressure (SW), ignition timing (voltmeter), boost (SW), EGT’s (WESTAC) on two cylinders.
· Manufacturer: Jerico ultra close ratio
· Freshened in June 2018- zero hour since rebuilt by Johnny Hightower including several performance and durability modifications and upgrades
· Electric oil cooler pump and cooler
· Differential: Speedway Engineering Super Max; 4.11 R&P
· Gear driven oil pump with cooler
· Construction: Steel roof, firewall, partial floor; Fiberglass: hood, fenders, bumpers, doors, deck lid and rear spoiler with aluminum interior panels.
· Type: Tube
· Builders: Don Preston, EJ Trivette and Race Car Factory
Condition: Very good well sorted
· Front Suspension: Preston aluminum uprights and lower control arms, Trivette unequal A arm geometry with all spherical bearings-new 2016
· Rear Suspension: Preston four link with lower wishbone all rod ends and spherical bearings
· Shocks: Koni front double adjustable; rebuilt 2016, rear are Bilstein tested in 2013
· Steering: Sweet Engineering rack and pinion
· Wheels: 10X16 front and 12X16 rear Duralites
· Front are 4 piston AP 1.875-1.75 staggered piston
· Rear are 1 ¾ JFZ with new pistons
· Custom 3 inch aluminum rotor cooling ducting to the rotor center
· All stainless steel brake lines
· Fire System: 5 LB piped to fuel cell, front mechanical fuel pump area and by the driver remote activated from the driver’s seat
· Long block with new block needs pistons, rings and bearings for assembly.
· 3 good spare blocks
· Late FIA head- needs R&R before use on the spare block
· Original Gotti wheels that need new centers
· Original huge inner cooler 12X12X14 inches
· Original huge IHI turbo RHB8, VC31, RHB8 017087 new in shipping box
· Bosch Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection pump overhauled in 2016
· Tires on 2 spare Duralite wheels
· Original Electramotive modified boost compensating custom 7AL ignition box
· Front door
· Rear deck lid with Plexiglass
· Stainless steel headers
· Water pump
· Valve springs (Electramotive endurance)
· More miscellaneous
RACING AND CAR HISTORY AND OWNERSHIP
The car was originally built in ~1980 as a 2 liter BS for SCCA racing by Getches and Reynolds in Oklahoma.
Frank Carney purchased the car and had Don Preston Racing convert it for IMSA GTU racing. The car was raced in several configuration including a 2.3 liter twin cam 4 valve set up probably using the Japanese aftermarket head by OS Giken. That configuration was not competitive which led to the L 18 turbocharged configuration which was very competitive. The car required a NASCAR size Halibrand quick change and a custom Hewland geared direct drive 5 speed fitted into a Nissan 5 speed casing to handle the horsepower. The chassis was a tub with front tube and rear tube configuration to meet the early GTU regulations. At the first race it was discovered that the current rules had been changed and now allowed full tube configuration with unequal A arm front suspension including moving the engine back in the chassis were the first plug lined up with the front axle centerline. Needless to say the team was very disappointed to learn this after the car was completed. These modifications would have made the car much more competitive and easier to maintain and tune.
The car was raced for ~3 seasons and had 2 second place finishes and was considered competitive in GTU even without the many advantageous modifications outlined above. The last race was at Watkins Glen and was retired due to a turbo failure leading to a fire.
The car was then purchased as a roller in 1989 and raced in SCCA as a GT3 for ~8 years until 2000. The front end was modified from Macpherson struts to an unequal A arm configuration by EJ Trivette and the chassis was completely tubed thus removing the stock unibody floor and firewall . A cross brace was added per SSCA rules behind the driver. SCCA Logbook #83853. The log books come with the car.
The original turbo engines became available in 2001 and were acquired. The car had to be modified to accommodate the turbocharger. The front end was reconfigured and custom 321 stainless headers were fabricated. The car was completely modified to accommodate the turbo configuration including rerouting the exhaust, adding instrumentation, moving the engine further back to IMSA rules, new firewall, new motor/transmission mounts, added the driveshaft driven alternator, moved the dry sump tank closer to the engine, relocation of the battery, new pedal location, and the new Speedway Engineering rear end, etc.
The car was raced in HSR from 2006 to 2015. The car was also raced in SVRA in 2014-2016 including in June 2016 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway were it won the two races. HSR/SVRA Logbook 06-151. This is a very competitive vintage GTU car in a very period correct configuration.
Seller's other ads
|Country:||United States of America|
|Trade or Private:||Private|
|Share by Email Print page Report Sold|