Citroen AX GT Rally Car
I have decided to sell my AX GT rally car for various reasons; mainly because I am changing category to historic (1960’s Triumph), and whilst I’d love to keep it ‘just in case’ I need to be realistic. Having not long bought a house and a few car projects, a bit of space and funds would not go a miss. (MOT'd until October 2019)
Important thing; the car is MOT’d until October 2019, and I am not aware of any reason the car won’t pass an MOT again. I recently had the wheel arches and sill covers off and cleaned behind, there is no rot in the sills.
Spec based on GT but with the following changes;
- I believe it has a cam in it but not sure what (according to previous owner who sold this as he was going to rally a C2)
- Full complement of Bilstein dampers
- Raised exhaust system for better clearance
- Heavy duty skid plate under the radiator, sump, gearbox and downpipe
- Pair of bucket seats and harnesses
- Full OMP roll cage (with build certificate)
- Various map reading lights
- Brake lines re-routed through the shell to comply with regulations.
- Navigator foot rest.
- There are also installed external pull cables for fire extinguisher and electrical cut off, although the extinguisher etc have been removed for the historic build.
- Nearly new Michelin road legal tyres, plus boot mount for two spares.
- Washer bottle relocated to behind cage in drivers footwell (easy to access) but prevents risk of damage in case of an excursion into the wilderness (original would be just behind front bumper).
- Front wiper changed to Bosch Aeroblade type for better water dispersion, rear wiper deleted.
- Bonnet on quick release pins, boot has quick release catches.
- It still has the rear seats to comply with regs, but these could be removed for extra lightness depending on what class you run in.
- Clips for hydration system
- Awesome red rally mud flaps!
Things done recently – engine service, replaced brake lines, carburettor rebuilt, some wiring work, front spot bulbs replaced with 130W units (Very bright!). Some general fettling and looking after as you’d expect of a competition car.
During the summer I was invited to bring the car along to the Historic Rally Car Show at Gaydon which was to celebrate the London to Sydney Marathon Rally.
It’s been a rally car for a very long time, so it’s not immaculate. It does however have a full GT body kit in reasonable condition, and the front GT door cards etc with the wine bottle holders. It’s been garaged all the time I have had it. There is a bit of rust in the drivers rear quarter, but I have a panel cut from a scrap shell to repair this which will be included (can be fitted etc too for a discounted labour rate).
Extensive spares package includes four GT wheels and tyres, various suspension and steering units, some external trim, multiple sets of rear lights and a few front indicators, various bobs and service spares, air filter and air intake assembly, spare new air filter, spare twin choke carb and manifold… probably various other bits I’ve forgotten about!
Hard to put a value on the car, but I’d be looking for around £3000 or so, which would include the spares package, and if required a full brand new set of any Powerflex bushes you may want for the car.
I have a workshop where I do various types of car preparation, fabrication, restoration etc, so I could do any repair work or alterations that the new owner may want, be it any repair works, modifications (from moving the battery, to a stainless exhaust system etc).
Located near Leamington Spa.