F2-23-59 started life in 1959 as a works car for the Cooper Grand Prix team. The car was used by Bruce McLaren throughout the year. The Cooper team won the World Constructors championship and McLaren in his ﬁrst full season took his maiden Grand Prix victory in the US Grand Prix at Sebring.The car was sold to Fred Tuck & Horace Gould. Tuck privately entered the car in numerous Grand Prix in 1960 with various drivers taking the wheel including Roy Salvadori and Lucien Bianchi. Bianchi scored a best result of 6th at Monaco.
In 1961 the Formula 1 regulations changed and the car was ﬁtted with a 1.5 litre Coventry Climax engine but little is known about the races it did. National racer Ed Mackey purchased the car from Dochnal and campaigned the car nationwide. His relentless determination and the Cooper’s amazing reliability won him the 1966 SCCA Southern Paciﬁc Division Formula A championship.
Steve Froines purchased the car in early 70s. He restored the car to the correct speciﬁcation and reunited her with the correct 2.5 litre Coventry Climax engine and ERSA gearbox. After thirty years of ownership he sold the car to Murray Smith and the current owner purchased the car in 2008. With Neil Twyman’s preparation and Roger Wills driving F2-23-59 has achieved tremendous results in HGPCA events including outright wins in the Monaco Historique.
The car is referred to and documented in Doug Nye’s Cooper Cars book.
Seller's other ads
|Company||Taylor & Crawley|
+44 (0) 2078 232599
+44 (0) 7831 392800
|Trade or Private:||Trade|
|Share by Email Print page Report Sold|