Classic (non race) Cars
1955 Austin Healey 100 S
- One of the four Home Market 100S’s
- One of the three fitted with a David Brown Aston Martin gearbox
- Raced extensively in period
- Ownership known from new
- Restored, race ready and with HTP papers dated until 2027.
- Domiciled in the U.K. since new
‘EVV 106’ instantly stands out amongst its Healey 100S brethren, distinguished by two distinctive features it had almost from new. Firstly – as requested by first owner David Shale – ‘EVV106’ was colour changed from the standard Old English White over Lobelia Blue to British Racing Green, a colour that it wears to this day. The second is that it is one of three cars factory fitted with a David Brown Aston Martin gearbox.
This Home Market 100S made its racing debut on 26th March 1955 in the hands of David Shale at Goodwood Motor Circuit. After failing to finish in the higher-level British Empire Trophy race meeting in April, Shale went onto four fine race wins, the first at Aintree and subsequently three at Silverstone. Never averse to compiling many road miles on the way to (and from) club race meetings around the British mainland he also scored second-place finishes at Brands Hatch, Mallory Park, Snetterton and Davidstow. He also added a third place at Brands Hatch and two more at Silverstone to ‘EVV’s growing list of club race laurels. Shale finished the season as runner-up in the 1956 ‘Autosport’ Championship competition.
In 1957 ‘EVV’ was acquired by second owner and gentleman racer Mike Kellett, in whose hands a second place was achieved at Croft in September 1957 and a third at Marston Moor, followed in 1958 by 2nd and 4th-place results at Full Sutton. Unfortunately at Oulton Park that year Mike Kellett left the road at Knickerbrook corner and rolled the car, but overall it was raced at least 18 times in his ownership and had remained a competitive contender against newer opposition.
In 1958 Tony Lanfranchi bought ‘EVV’ and honed his motor racing skills in it before going on to become one of the most colourful characters of the British and international motor racing scene. In ‘EVV 106’ he won the 1959 Catterick hill-climb, a third place in the Burton Sprint and a circuit third at Mallory Park. Its illustrious racing career didn’t end there, when in 1961 Derek Buller-Sinfield bought ‘EVV’ and competed until 1962, at which time it was acquired as one of the founding feature cars of the illustrious Arthur Carter Collection, within which it was subsequently preserved and maintained for no less then 42 years.
Acquired in 2014 by the previous owner, the 100S was fully restored over an 18-month period, in the buildings where it was born – The Cape, Warwick. The work was undertaken by respected specialist the late Jonathan Everard of JME Limited, who was until 1969 a Donald Healey Motor Company and Austin-Healey employee.
In more recent years, for the current owner, the ongoing maintenance, servicing and race preparation has been undertaken by noted Austin-Healey specialist Woolmer Classic Engineering Limited. ‘EVV 106’ is FIVA, MSA and FIA registered and has enjoyed many rallies, tours and races, including the Goodwood Revival, Le Mans Classic, Donington and Silverstone Festivals and, on multiple occasions, the Mille Miglia retrospective.
With the exception of the ex-Works Le Mans cars, ‘EVV 106’ is arguably one of the most notable and well documented 100S Healey’s in existence. It represents an opportunity to partake in some of the world’s finest Motoring events.