1978 Vauxhall Chevette HS Group 4 Ex McRae
- TEB 649S was Jimmy McRae’s first full time ‘works’ drive along side Pentti Airikkala in the sister car TEB 650S
- Both were built by Bill Blydenstein’s Dealer Team Vauxhall (DTV) at Shepreth in 1978
- Purchased by Colin McRae and Jimmy in 1991 as an addition to 'The McRae Collection'
- Unquestionable history, fully documented with the V5c still showing Jimmy as being the previous owner
- As a famous and well regarded DTV Chevette, this is a potential entry for worldwide historic rally events with previous appearances at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Race Retro
- Probably the most correct of the five original DTV works cars surviving today
- A full specification is available upon request with your early inspection welcomed and encouraged.
TEB 649S was the 4th HS GP4 car DTV built and was a new car for the 1978 season, built for Jimmy McRae as his first full time works drive partnering Pentti Airikkala in the sister car TEB 650 S. In Jimmy’s hands the car completed numerous rallies and tests in 1978 with the main events being the Circuit of Ireland (2nd Overall), the Mintex (7th Overall), the Welsh (DNF) and the Scottish (DNF). The car was one of DTV’s engine homologation issue cars running a Lotus Head until the famous DTV press article in April 1978 led to the cars having to run Vauxhall 16 valve heads, as homologated. In 1991 Colin and Jimmy McRae purchased the DTV Chevette to form part of what was to become ‘The McRae Collection’, where it remained until after Colin’s tragic death at which point the car was sold via Richard Lepley to the present keeper. Jimmy McRae’s name is still present on the current V5 as being the previous owner. Since 2010 McRae senior has driven the Vauxhall at Goodwood Festival of Speed, Race Retro & Rally Day. It is a famous, well-regarded car and a potential entrant to virtually any historic event worldwide with numerous invites over the years. A brief browse of the worldwide web gives any interested parties an insight into this historically important DTV car and its famous owners, a fabulous addition to any rally collection or just to have as a piece of rallying history. This is one of the few DTV cars that still has an original DTV shell and still carries all correct period parts. If you remember those bygone days sitting in cold and dark Kielder Forest with your flask in hand and bobble hat in place waiting for the glare of lights coming around the corner then this has to be one for you.
Keyword Search Terms:McRae, Rally car, DTV, Chevette, Group 4
Seller's other ads
|Trade or Private:||Trade|
|Share by Email Print page Report Sold|