1988 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth ‘Group A’ Touring Car
To be offered by Silverstone Auctions on Saturday 27th March. For more information about the car and how to bid please call Harry Whale on 07919887374.
Estimate: £100,000 - £120,000
- An exciting opportunity to experience Group A Touring Cars at their very best.
- Fabulous example having been built in recent years using experience gained by running another proven, front-running car
- HP Harvey Gibbs Stage 2, RS 500 small-coreplug engine, on 8 injectors & Pectel 8 management
- Complete with a new, dog-leg, Getrag Bara Motorsport-built gearbox and much more
- A complete and detailed build-spec can be provided on request
- Great value for money – could not replicate for anywhere near this guide price
The 1980s provided some fantastic Touring Car racing as the manufacturers’ teams put serious effort into trying to win races with their Group A-spec cars built to a very high standard with serious budgets to match. The Sierra Cosworth comfortably exceeded Ford's wishes, and went on to become one of the most successful Touring Car racers of all time, winning races all over the world.
This, fabulous, RS500 Group A Touring Car has been built by our vendor in recent years using his years of knowledge and experience gained from preparing and driving another front runner RS500 in the Motor Racing Legends Historic Touring Car series. As you can imagine, this car has therefore been built to a very high standard and to a very similar specification to our vendors current Rouse Motorcraft car, which enjoyed an outright win at the 2017 Silverstone Classic along with many other fastest laps and outright wins in recent years.
This example is now finished and ready for the next owner to enjoy the thrills on offer. Our vendor has kindly listed the specification below:
- HP Harvey Gibbs Stage 2 RS 500 small-coreplug engine, on 8 injector Pectel 8 management. Test miles only – vendors defines this car as ‘Race Ready’ in his opinion
- Complete with a new dog-leg Getrag Bara Motorsport-built gearbox. New bell-housing, twin-plate clutch etc.
- 909 Motorsport 9" diff complete with uprated driveshafts, Mocal diff pump and cooler. Housed in a new 6 degree Group A centre-lock beam
- AP four-pots with vented discs and braided hoses. Type 909 front hubs, AP brakes, discs and brake ducts. A new bias pedal box. All new brake lines
- New laminated screen. 110-litre aluminium, foam-filled, fuel cell complete with premier fillers
- New wiring looms for the engine and car. Period dash and door cards etc.
- Group A intercooler and radiator and in-date seat, fire extinguisher and belts. New fuel pumps, fuel lines and air jack points
- Side-exit exhaust system - currently on its full silent system. All period correct suspension, shockers, springs etc
Overall, this looks like a very exciting proposition along with being tremendous value for money in our opinion, as you could not replicate this car for anywhere near this guide price. There are now fantastic opportunities to race these cars around Europe at great circuits with thrilling competition - experience Group A Touring Cars at their very best.