1963 Lotus Cortina Race or Rally car, restored 2015.
1963 Lotus Cortina Race or Rally car
- This car was acquired by the previous owner in early 2014 from a guy who’d owned it for the previous 29 years.It was fully stripped, dipped and rebuilt over the next two years and it competed in one single venue rally and did the stage at Race Retro, Stoneleigh. I bought it April 2017 and entered a rally in October but unfortunately the gearbox broke about a mile into the first stage. New gearbox fitted and completed a rally March 2018 without problems. Unused since but checked over and ready to go, belts, seats and extinguishers still in date.
The shell is in excellent condition after being acid dipped and all remedial welding carried out (not that there’s much evidence of it needing it) Lotus boot bars were added along with seat tubes and sump guard mounts. It has a bolt in SD cage and is painted in Ford Colorado red.
The 1598 cc engine is based on a 701M 6015BA block and Mk 2 head, new steel internals supplied by Blue Sky Engineering and assembled by Paul Gardner. New Weber 45 DCOE’s and a complete new exhaust system by Tony Law were fitted. The engine was checked over by John Smirthwaite and gave 168 bhp at 7710 rpm on his Dyno, on rally cams.
AP Racing clutch is fitted and the gearbox is a three rail Mexico with alloy bellhousing. It has a 3J Driveline straight cut synchro kit fitted along with all new bearings,synchros, layshaft, needle rollers and thrust washers, seals, tail shaft bush,magnetic drain plug, circlips etc.
4.4 Salisbury LSD in strengthened axle case, tramp bars and historic legal drum brakes.Hydraulic handbrake.
- Bilstein dampers all round, machined twin cam roll bar, Modified strut ball joints and all new steering joints.
- Other parts fitted include Heated front screen, bespoke wiring loom, alloy radiator,catch tank, bias pedal box, poly carb side and rear windows, Sparco seats, trip meter, alloy fuel tank with swirl pot and sender unit, Twin fuel pumps with Filter King.
- Price is negotiable depending on what prospective buyers would like to take away, it certainly could be converted into a race car without any problems.
- Wheels. I have 6off 5.5 x 13,6x13 and 7x13 Minilite copies, some new. About 35 tyres of various types.
- Other spares include three doors, grille, axle case,rear bumper, pair tca’s with new bushes, new discs and pads, new Volvo 240 front top mounts, pair new front strut bodies for Bilstein inserts, wheel bearings. Four Cibie lamps on QR brackets.
- I have a full set of service area equipment, trolley jack and boards, axle stands and boards and groundsheet.
- A Reko galvanised trailer in VGC, recent new tyres, brake linings and winch, spare wheel, box of ratchet straps etc.
A starting figure for the base car as is with the six 5.5 inch wheels and no spares would be £36,000.
If you require any more information please call me on 07831 348367